The Michigan Architectural Foundation’s mission is to advance awareness of how architecture enriches our lives. Though our grants, student scholarships, and free architecture-related programming, MAF educates a future generation of architecture advocates; funds historic architecture preservation projects that benefit our communities; and connects people to free architectural resources and education.
None of it would be possible without the contributions of MAF’s donors. For more than 50 years, and through the support of our generous donors, MAF has been able to expand the programs that make our lives better through architecture.
As the year closes out, please consider making a year-end contribution to the Michigan Architectural Foundation. MAF is a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization, and your gift is tax deductible. Click here to access MAF’s Donate Now form.
Did you know that your gift to MAF supports programs like these?
- MAF Architecture Awareness Grants, which help fund programs and activities that educate us, enrich our experiences, and create meaningful connections with architecture. Grants have been awarded for lectures, films, educational programs, publications, exhibits, and more – programs like the National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA) Detroit’s Project Pipeline Camp, which was conducted virtually once again this year.
- Through MAF’s Evans Graham Preservation Grants, nearly two dozen historic preservation and restoration projects to date have been given new life and positively contributed to Michigan communities – projects like Pointe Aux Barques Life-Saving Station and Captain’s Quarters (the 2021 grantee), the 1849 King House (once part of an Odawa Indian fishing village), and Mackinac Island’s Biddle House, the project that catalyzed MAF’s beginnings. Read more about the projects.
- MAF’s Architecture Student Scholarships have helped many talented and ambitious students enrolled in Michigan’s college and university architecture programs reach their academic and future career goals. Each year, MAF offers academic scholarships based on criteria including community involvement, financial need, and strength of their student design portfolio. Read the story of MAF 2021 scholarship recipient Sean Guirey in this newsletter, and meet the rest of MAF’s 2021 scholarship recipients here.
- MAF’s free educational programming and other resources that introduce children to architecture and the built environment. MAF’s Architecture it’s Elementary and ArchiTreks feature hands-on interactive activities that help children learn observation, reasoning, and critical thinking skills, and to understand order and think visually. The Build Imagination Book Collection (supported through MAF’s Dumke Fund, along with the 100 Essential Books Collection for adults) piques children’s interest in design, construction, travel, history, and architecture. Books can be borrowed through the statewide Michigan Library Network.
- The MAF + AIA Michigan Summer Internship Bridge Grants Program once again helped to fill the pandemic-related gap in available student architectural internship programs in Michigan this past summer. Student interns participated in both remote and in person internships, and enjoyed the educational, experience, and career-boosting opportunities normally provided through the traditional internship experience. The program was jointly sponsored and funded by MAF and AIA Michigan, along with donor support.
How Can You Support MAF?
You may make your donation electronically by using our Donate Now form,* located on MAF’s website, or by mailing your check to: Michigan Architectural Foundation, 37637 Five Mile Road, Suite 399, Livonia, MI 48154. Please indicate to which fund you would like to designate your gift. Whatever your choice, know that it will positively influence Michigan architecture, and the impact of architecture on the quality of our lives.
If you have additional questions, please contact MAF Treasurer Carl Roehling, FAIA, at email@example.com
MAF’s Donor Wall lists the individuals, corporations and non-profits that have invested in the future of our state and its residents through the MAF. Their commitment and generosity have ensured our past success and our future impact. On behalf of MAF and all of those who have benefitted from their generosity, we thank you. Should you choose to make a year-end contribution to MAF, we look forward to adding your name to the wall!
The Michigan Architectural Foundation is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to connecting the people of Michigan with architecture and its impact on our lives. MAF’s tax ID# (EIN) is 38-1698501.
*Please note, the Donate Now feature is not compatible with all mobile devices. If you experience any concerns, please open this page on a desktop or laptop computer.